Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Whoa! Who Knew? Web Analytics!

I really don't know the ins and outs of all the reports and data that Google analytics provides. But already it has informed me of something I never would have guessed. This Blog shares a name with some hip/hop rap "artist".

I thought I had come up with an original name. Analytics count and track, and kind of 'suck' important data out of the life of a session. Count Trackula seemed like a perfect name. Now maybe not so much.

How did Google analytics inform me? First I noticed (from the map) that I had a visit today from Italy. Italy? So I looked at the report. It came from a Google search engine on the words "count trackula"! So guess what I did next? Yep. And there you have it. Now I have two questions: 1) How many of you 18 'absolute unique visitors' knew that already -- but only thought it was amusing? and 2) Do you have any good ideas for a new name -- or should I bother?

3 comments:

  1. Hee hee, I had no idea about the rap Trackula, but I do think it is amusing. I think you should not change your name for two reasons:
    1. Pretty much anything you change it to will probably be associated with something undesirable.
    2. Maybe Count Trackula will make it big and pay you off to surrender the blog name ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. if you're paying for traffic, you want to be sure it's qualified. if you're getting free visits, as long as it's not taxing on your server, there's no reason to fear inadvertent clicks or traffic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, thanks for the comment amy!

    I wasn't so much fearful of inadvertent clicks or traffic as I was association by name with the rather bizarre group. (It was more surprise than fear, really) Actually I just thought it was cool that I could learn those kind of things from the google analytics.

    I really am a newbie at this and so I appreciate all helpful hints, suggestions AND comments!

    I'm actually surprised (again) that anyone really reads this! :-)

    ReplyDelete

 
Locations of visitors to this page